Friday, April 29, 2011

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo, a Short Review


A story bouncing around the grapevine about  a kid that has some kinda near death experience and goes to Heaven (the Judeo-Christian version of Heaven) but comes back and lives to tell the tale is sure to get pretty good share of hype. Being a cynic to a factor of Annoying, I never really intended to read this book. But, it just so happened that while at my In-Law's, gearing up for a weekend road-tripping that the book was lying on their kitchen table. Picking it up, noticing that it wasn't a long read, I figured, "what the he.." uh, "why not?"  Finding my way to a nearby couch, book open, kids being incapacitated by bath time -  I dug in.
Admittedly, I read the book fast. I basically skimmed, looking for good stuff. In my impatience, some chapters disappointed, primarily because I was in a "get to the point" kind of mood rather than "let's slow down and smell the roses." So basically any chapter that didn't directly have to do with the boy's describing his experience of the Heavenly bored me in my selfishness. Considering that you may not be as selfish as I, you may not experience that frustration at all and will likely appreciate the extra background given by said chapters. 
But i was in it for the extra yummy stuff, the goods, the Manna from .. well y'know, Heaven. When those golden nuggets did pop up, they didn't disappoint, well not totally.Remember, I'm selfish, impatient, and always wanting for more. So when the author, the boy's father, relays the bits and pieces of Heavenly views the boy experienced I kept saying to myself, "hello?? is that it? what is this, the low-carb value meal? Ask more questions, put the kid in a chair with a spotlight and let the interrogation begin!"    But the author confesses feeling the same, desiring to question the boy and squeeze out all the details but thought better of such an approach for several reasons.  
What you do get from the book is an interesting, thought provoking, encouraging, and mind expanding wonderment that perhaps can only come via the perspective of a child. And that the child's descriptions do seem to align themselves fairly well to Scriptural reference, at least from the interpretation of the author.
Skepticism:  I found this review on the web of the book offering some healthy criticisms about the theological aspects. He argues that the description of Heaven doesn't jive because he is describing the "New Earth" which hasn't been created yet.  A couple of problems I have with this criticism: 1. How do YOU know it hasn't been created yet, just because You or We aren't there yet.  2. Additionally, he assumes that an "intermediate" place that he feels the boy must have gone to,  couldn't have looked just like what Heaven, or the New Earth, or any other place God wants it to look like.
So often we assume the things God can or can't, will or won't do.  The book is an interesting read, and will lift your spirits and Hope for Heaven if you let it. Sure, being skeptical about it is fine. That will just cause you to want to discuss it further with others, which is a great way to let someone know about your own Faith, and to reveal to nonbelievers that it's actually OK to question things pertaining to the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment